Scheduling observations to extragalactic radio sources is an integral part of geodetic and astrometric Very Long Baseline Interferometry. At TU Wien, we use the Vienna VLBI and Scheduling Software (VieVS) to generate those schedules. In particular, Matthias Schartner is developing an improved scheduling tool in C++, called VieSched++.
VieSched++ is a standalone software developed under the umbrella of VieVS. It uses many new innovative approaches like a recursive scan selection which is used to reduce station idle time or the multi-scheduling feature which allows the generation of hundreds of schedules to optimize the session as much as possible. More information about VieSched++ can be found here. Currently, our scheduling activities comprise:
- Scheduling of official IVS observing programs, such as EURD, T2, EUR, OHG, INT3, CRF, CRDS…
- Scheduling Intensive sessions on the baseline Wettzell – Santa Maria and Wettzell – Aggo,
- Scheduling of special VLBI sessions, such as relativistic experiments,
- Simulation and validation of other schedules,
- Simulation of VGOS schedules.
Do not hesitate to contact Matthias Schartner if you are interested in generating schedules with VieSched++. VieSched++ can be downloaded at https://github.com/TUW-VieVS .